Ukulele is a fun thing for beginners to start playing. For an absolute musical beginner, it is excellent to invest in an affordable ukulele to begin playing. Today, we will discuss a list of the top five best ukuleles under 100 dollars. There is a lot of instruments, such as electric guitars and keyboards. If you want to find the right choice under $100 mark, this post is just for you. Now, take your time to explore them below.
Top Five Best Ukuleles under 100 Dollars Reviews
Kala Learn to Play Ukulele Starter Kit
When it comes to the most excellent ukuleles, this kit gives you all the essential things you need to get started to learn the instrument. Its cost is under $100. Moreover, it has received some incredible reviews considering the price.
This model is very popular for beginners. It is well-built despite the low price. Also, it is known as a very prolific brand of ukuleles. This one is the right choice for those who are finding the top brands of ukuleles.
- Compact and small size
- Comes with a bag, a quick start guide, and tuning app to let you learn the basics of the instrument
- Includes good-quality and reliable Aquila strings
- Allows you to enhance your skills due to accessing online ukulele lessons
- The free items are not fantastic quality
- You may need to upgrade your case over time
Hola! Music HM-121BU+ Soprano Ukulele Bundle
This model is some way to the previous kit. They offer accessories you need. Therefore, it is not essential to go around the music store to ask the clerk what you will need. This model provides you with a slightly lower quality compared to the Kala Ukulele Starter Kit. However, it comes with better accessories.
It is the right choice for those who want to save money. This model is not as well-built as some others out there. However, this model offers more acceptable sound and accessories. Plus, it a good option under $100.
- Loaded with quality accessories, such as a strap, padded bag, and plectrums
- Comes with Italian Aquila Nylgut strings
- Comes in different finishes and colors
- Walnut fingerboard
- Quality mahogany body
- The finish is not perfect
- The nut and fingerboard are not well-built as others
Caramel CT103 Acoustic-Electric Ukulele Bundle
If you are shopping for a slightly larger design, this ukulele is the right one for you. It comes with pickups. Therefore, you can plug into a sound system, an audio interface, or an amp for recording with ease.
Overall, this model brings a lot of accessories at an affordable price. If you are looking for the best ukuleles under 100, this one may be a reasonable option. However, you need to purchase an amplifier if you want to play it as an electric ukulele.
- Includes a chromatic tuner complete with an LCD display
- Offers you more control thanks to three-band EQ
- Good-quality zebrawood design
- Comes with accessories, such as a strap, gig bag, and a cable for hooking up to an amp
- Not all accessories are the highest quality
- You have to purchase an amplifier if you want to play it as an electric instrument
Fender Seaside Soprano Ukulele
Fender is famous for some of the best guitars in the world. Also, this company has moved into other instruments, including ukulele. The Fender Seaside Soprano Ukulele is the right choice for players who need an improved-built quality in comparison to many different ones on our list.
The mahogany design ensures to give you a rich sound. Moreover, you will also get a professional feel. Although it requires you to replace the strings and add your accessories to receive the most out of the instrument, its quality is reasonable for the price.
- It is easier to change strings because of the no-tie bridge
- Allows you to move up/down the frets with ease thanks to a slim neck profile
- Offers you a warm tone thanks to a mahogany design
- No include accessories if you just purchase the instrument itself
Hricane Cutaway Tenor Ukulele
This product is not only affordable but also various in style. It comes with a 27-inch tenor design that is longer than some others. Moreover, you can play higher up the fretboard with this unit. Plus, it also allows you to play more complex melodies.
If you are going for a sleek and stylish ukulele, you can consider choosing it. Moreover, it is also well-built. As said, it also allows you to play complex melodies. It is also a very convenient instrument.
- Easy to store because of its design
- Simple to carry it from one place to another
- Comes with spruce for enhanced tone
- Comes with Aquila nylon strings
- May not sound as excellent from a distance
- Some players complained about keeping it in tune
Things to Look for in a Ukulele
Here are some essential features you should think about before making your purchase:
Ukulele Price vs. Quality
As you know, ukuleles are small models. Therefore, it is easy to get ones without a lot of money. It is essential to be clear of toy ukuleles in the price range between $15 and $20. They are made of poor quality materials. Also, you cannot play them with any seriousness.
However, you can still find a high-quality model in the $25-$50 range. If you pay $50-$100, there will be no issue looking for some perfect quality models.
The Best Tonewoods
This factor is one of the most crucial considerations when shopping for the best ukulele. The wood used to make the instrument is a major thing in how it sounds and what kind of tone it offers.
Many manufacturers use softwood for the top and hardwood for the sides. It aims to make the right balance of tone and volume. Here are some common types of tonewood:
- Mahogany: if you want to get a ukulele projecting well, you should choose one made from mahogany. These models are sure to produce a warm tone. Therefore, they are suitable choices for not only playing at home but also playing on stage without amplification.
- Koa: this is a traditional tonewood. These ukuleles offer a unique sound. Moreover, they also come with a distinctive wood grain.
- Rosewood: it is not hard to see rosewood in the construction of ukuleles, fretboards on guitars, and basses. This tonewood produces a vibrant sound.
- Spruce: If you want to get a brighter sound, you should consider spruce. This wood sounds great in intimate settings.
- Redwood: this one is one of the most expensive tonewoods for ukulele. It produces a warm and resonant sound.
- Cedar: this wood produces a natural tone. It also offers you lots of basses.
Sizes and Number of Frets
There is a lot of sizes and number of frets. Ukuleles with different sizes offer different sounds. In general, the larger model offers more frets. Now, look at the different sizes below:
- Soprano: these ukuleles are the most common types. They have a length of 21 inches. Also, there are 12-15 frets. These models are the perfect choices for small children due to their size.
- Concert: this one is a little larger compared to the soprano ukuleles. They have at least 15 frets. Also, they have a length of around 21 inches. Moreover, they are ideal for intermediates, as well as beginners with larger hands.
- Tenor: they are a bit larger compared to the concert. They have a length of 26 inches. Moreover, they also come with a lot more frets.
- Baritone: they are much larger compared to other models. It has a length of up to 30 inches. Moreover, it comes with 18 frets. This model is suitable for everyone.
Frequently Asked Questions about Ukuleles under 100 Dollars
How much does a decent ukulele cost?
Here are the price ranges of ukuleles:
- Beginner: $50 to $150
- Mid-Level: $150 to $500
- High-End: $500 and more
How much should I pay for a ukulele?
You will want to spend between $50 and $150 for your first instrument. You should take your time to find a trusted brand. When it comes to the best ukulele brands for beginners, you cannot ignore Lanikai and Cordoba. They are famous for their inexpensive instruments. Ukuleles are available in different sizes and shapes.
There are some brilliant choices on our list today. Some of them are excellent for beginners who are looking for a full package with accessories. Some others are ideal for players who are just focusing on the sound quality.
You have to consider the stage of your musical journey you are on. If you need a step up from an inexpensive beginner instrument, you should choose the Kala. The Hola! Music HM-121BU+ ukulele is suitable for those who are looking for ones with a case.
Most importantly, you should take your time to research before making your decision to get the best possible results.